Image Map

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Where Is Your Heart?

I LIVE to travel.  Nothing feeds your soul like a new experience.  And nothing fills your heart more than an ocean breeze, a strong cocktail, and creating memories with dear friends.  That’s what I got to do this weekend.  Jon and I headed down to Wilmington, North Carolina to stay with our friends, Jen and Brian.

I convinced Jon to make the 10-hour road trip rather than fly down south.  My best thinking always occurs on a long trip, hence why I always drive when I visit my sister in the South.  It’s also nice that my man has a company car and gas card which paid our way.  Free gas = amazeballs.  This trip, I got to bounce all my thoughts off of him and we spent the entire trip down discussing life, what we want out of it, and where we are currently in accordance with our long term goals.  We talked about the idea of happiness and what is needed to be truly happy.  After an absolutely amazing weekend with many good friends, we picked up on the conversation on the way home.  We sat on highway 40 in North Carolina for about two hours at a standstill.  There had been a horrible accident in which two people had died.  As people started getting out of their cars to vent their frustration, I couldn’t help but think to myself…there are two people who no longer get the chance to live out their dreams. 

As we made the trek home, I turned into a hunger b*tch, so we stopped in Ripley, West Virginia for a heavy Italian meal.  Next door, there was a health food store called “To Your Health” so we decided to stop in.  Being the nosy person that I am, I started talking to the owner about her little store.  Kay, a woman of probably 70 years, had been a lifelong nurse with a passion for health and fitness.  Although she loved nursing, her dream was to open up a health food store.  14 years ago, she did just that.  And her little store has been thriving in that small town ever since. Her 101 year old mother sat in the back office to keep her company.  My heart melted.  Clearly, this is a woman who knew there is no age limit when it comes to living out your dreams.

So I ask you…what are your dreams?  Where is your heart? 

My dreams and weird and crazy.  I want a summer home in Alaska where I can fish for salmon on my back porch.  I want a few acres of land to call my own with chickens and horses and cows.  I want to work for myself.  I want to grow my own food.  A bit outlandish, I guess.  But who cares? Those are my dreams.  What are yours?  What are you doing to get there?  I decided a few years ago that I wanted to travel more, so I got a second job to feed my new habit.  Jon and I wanted to try to be a little more self-sustainable so we planted tomatoes, corn, cantaloupe, strawberries, herbs, peppers, and pumpkins.  I wanted to work for myself and make my own hours, so I’m in the process of getting my real estate license.  These are the things that make my heart happy, and I’m making my way there, even if it’s at a snail’s pace.           

When you wake up in the morning, there is one simple question to ask yourself.  Where is your heart?  Do those things, and spend time with those people that make your heart full.  Eliminate the things and people that don't.  You'll never go wrong.

Cheers!











No comments:

Post a Comment