Image Map

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

It's Harvest Time In This Little Town


Life really is different in the country.  Time moves slower...people move slower.  I'm convinced that the beer is colder, the grass is greener, and that life is simply better in these parts. 

I grew up a city girl with a country mentality.  My daddy raised me on country music.  I learned to drive in an old 1995 Dodge Ram.  But we always lived in the 'burbs.  I wondered what it would be like to live in the way that they sang about in those songs.  Well, now I know. 

My heart feels bigger these days.  My priorities have shifted.  My mind is at ease.  This is what it means to live.      

I'm a big believer that our current existence is simply a manifestation of our past thoughts.  Somehow the stars aligned and I was given everything I could ever want.  Jon and I share a home amidst corn and soy fields.  We hang out at The Olde Towne Tavern.  We spend our Sundays chopping wood.  This is the life I had envisioned and now I get to live it everyday.  For that, I am grateful.  Someone upstairs thought I deserved all this.  Ha!  Finders keepers!!

I'll leave you with a few fun facts about country folk that I never knew about growing up in the city.
  • Schools close for a week during deer hunting season so that kids can go hunting with their Dad's.
  • Schools close during fair week so that the kids can show their cows, pigs, horses, and chickens.
  • People use demographic landmarks like "that old burnt down barn" to explain to others where they live.
  • Friday Night Lights is NO joke.  Football is EVERYTHING and it starts in the first grade.  Seven year old boys play under the lights in the high school stadium.  There is an announcer, there are fifty cheerleaders, and there are hundreds of people in the stands.  I mean...for real?!
  • Camo...everywhere.
  • Everyone has a gun, or ten.  Everyone, including kids, knows how to use them.
  • It's dark as hell.  Literally...NO light. 
  • Everybody knows everybody.  That's a given. 
  • People hustle out here.  They work hard and they play hard.

Life is good these days...I hope it is for you all too!! 

Cheers. 

   
 
 
Our little coop.  Ain't it cute?!

 



Just got lines on the roads.  About time!





 




crazy chickies!!



 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment