Image Map

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Buffalo Chicken Meatloaf

I found this easy, delicious, leftover-friendly recipe while trolling the interwebs for paleo recipes. No, I'm not necessarily "going paleo", but lets just say I'm exploring. There's paleo, there's gluten-free, the Wheat Belly diet...all of these seem to be somewhat related, but I haven't figured out the nuances. Anyone else feel that way? Hey, there's an idea for my next post!

This recipe is courtesy of The Dedicated, originally courtesy of PaleOMG - both awesome sites. The chicken meatloaf turned out to be delicious - especially if you like spicy! It's the Frank's RedHot. You really can put that sh*t on everything!

The recipe is idiot-proof (as I am an idiot, and it came out okay). The leftovers were even better. And as the aforementioned websites mentioned, it is super filling. Like, more than you would expect - a small slice or two will do you.



Ingredients:
  • 1 lb ground chicken
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup almond meal/flour
  • 2 celery stalks
  • 1/2 onion
  • 3-4 tbsp Frank's RedHot sauce
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp cayenne pepper
  • salt and pepper
Instructions: Brace yourself, because these are super complicated:
  1. Chop celery and onion
  2. Mash everything together with your hands. If this turns you on a little, you're not alone.
  3. Scoop the mix into a loaf pan of some sort.
  4. Bake uncovered at 350 for 50 minutes.




It occurred to me that you could add some kind of cheese to this - cheddar or hey, even blue cheese to keep with the buffalo vibe. Speaking of buffalo sauce, can we talk about Frank's RedHot?! Okay, I admit it's probably not the most Organo of ingreds...but it definitely could be a lot worse. It packs a ton of flavor, and did you know it has ZERO calories?


 
One more comment on ingredients: what is almond flour made of....angel tears?? One bag of it cost like fourteen dollars. Seriously?! This must be the paleo alternative to flour, which I get, but fourteen bucks is just redonk. That said, I did buy it and vow to search for other uses. And what do you know, I used it another night to bread chicken tenders for my lightened up chicken parm.
 
Final product: extremely moist, spicy, crunchy chicken meatloaf that left us totally satisfied with a small side salad. I paired mine with chardonnay, but honestly this would have been better with a frosty cold brew.
 
 

 
 
 
Give it a whirl, and let us know how it goes!
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment