Image Map

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Mediterranean Quinoa

Cooking is strenuous. I prefer not to do it every night, if possible. So, I like to make a ginormous quinoa and munch on it for days.

I probably don't need to sell you on the health benefits of quinoa. It's a "supergrain" with mad protein, and numerous other sweet benefits. Flavor-wise, it's a blank slate...and my go-to flavor profile is what I call "Mediterranean"...I mean, it's got feta, right? That counts.

I make this on the reg. Here goes. This makes a giant bowl, which translates to maybe 6 heaping servings:

IMG_2146

1 cup uncooked quinoa
2 cups stock (chicken and veggie are delish). I've been known to just use water too.
1 red bell pepper
1 green pepper
1 medium red onion
1 zucchini
8 oz. of feta cheese
1-2 tbsp. EVOO
Juice of 2 lemons (zest too, if you're feeling frisky)
Splash of vinegar (white wine or apple cider are best)
Your choice of seasoning - I like the jars of Greek or Italian from the spice aisle
Tons o' salt and pep
Optional: Avocado chunks, fresh chopped herbs, random meats

To make:
  1. Cook the quinoa in the broth per instructions - about 15 minutes. Let it cool.
  2. Dice those gorgeous and undoubtedly organic peppers and onions, and toss them in.
  3. Chop the zucchini into chunks, and boil for 4-5 minutes, just until they are bright green and barely cooked. Toss them in the bowl of goodness.
  4. Add the EVOO, lemon juice, feta and seasonings
  5. Mow down

This particular weekend, I added some grilled shrimp and Chateau St. Michelle Pinot Gris. We put the bambina to bed, sat on our back deck, and smugly toasted to our own awesomeness.

 

IMG_2148
 
The leftovers went on for days, as I intended.
 
IMG_2149
 
Enjoy getting yo health on!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment