Image Map

Monday, June 24, 2013

Southwest Chicken Chili

I’m about to drop another sweet recipe on you peeps. Much like my last recipe post, this one is easy to throw together and can be enjoyed for days. Like I said, I can’t be bothered to cook every day, so it’s stuff like this or takeout, which is usually not very Organo.

I don’t want to mislead you. I didn’t, like, make this recipe up. That is beyond the scope of what I’m capable of. I found it on SkinnyTaste, an amazeballs website chock full of healthy, easy-to-follow recipes (with mouth-watering photography to boot).  It’s probably my #2 favorite website for recipes, behind Thug Kitchen. More on my obsession with that later.

The original recipe can be found here…I’ll call mine a “loose adaptation” because I almost always forget stuff or add random stuff, and it still tastes fantastic. Here’s how I made it today:
  • Two massive chicken breasts 
  • Red bell pepper
  • Green pepper
  • 2 jalapenos
  • Yellow onion
  • 1 8 oz. can of corn
  • 1 8 oz. can of black beans
  • 1 16 oz. can of diced tomatoes
  • Any kind of Mexican-ish seasoning: Ancho chile powder, chili powder, chipotle seasoning, fajita seasoning, etc. Grab one that looks tasty and don’t overthink it.
  • Salt and Pepper

IMG_2236
IMG_2240

I probably don’t need to give you instructions on how to dump stuff into a crockpot, but if you’re an idiot in the kitchen like me, you may find this helpful:
  1. Toss in the chicken breasts whole.
  2. Chop the peppers, onion, and jalapeno. I include all the seeds and ribs of the jalapeno for extra spice. Scoop it into the tub.  
  3. Rinse and drain the corn and beans – toss them in.
  4. Open and dump the entire tomato can into the crockpot (no draining).
  5. Add spices and stir.
  6. Pop on the lid and cook on low for 8 hours, or high for 4 hours.
  7. By the end of your cooking time, the chicken should have fallen apart on it’s own. Grab a fork and stir it around, making sure the chicken has self-shredded. If it hasn’t, cook that baby longer.

IMG_2245
IMG_2249
IMG_2250

So that is the basic recipe. Feel free to get weird in the kitchen. Today it got super weird. I worked from home while this masterpiece simmered away four feet from me. I kept walking over and inspecting it. Then I spotted lime juice in my fridge. Sweet! I found some garlic. Yep it needs that. I opened the spice rack and brainstormed. Would a hint of Camp Mix add value? I found some cilantro – definitely. I even contemplated adding lentils (whaa?) and rice, but held back. I dumped in some fresh salsa leftover from a recent party for good measure.

So my point is, you can’t eff this up.

IMG_2255
IMG_2260

Serve it with some sexy toppings: avocado chunks, shredded cheese, some diced onion or jalapenos that you remembered to reserve (unlike me). Serve with some carbs – cornbread, crackers – if the spirit moves you. Don’t forget to act smug when you serve it to people.

IMG_2262
IMG_2267

lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment